Tuesday, November 13, 2007

"To keep you independent"


"Here is a list of assistance devices you will need before your surgery. They are important to keep you independent," instructed the nurse. It sounds like something I would say to a patient- a positive spin. To soften the fear instilled by the news that at 33 years old I will need an apparatus to don my socks and a bedside commode to take care of my business. Had my pre-op outpatient visit today. Locked in for January 16th. Since he plans to approach arthroscopically I will not need to donate blood or take coumadin. He said prepare for 8 weeks on crutches, 4 weeks home from work. Honestly that sounds better than I thought it would be.... but I imagine it will not be a cake walk. I told him how my back killed me studying for the boards, and apparently that is common. Something about the impingement making me sit differently. So maybe I am not totally falling apart.

No comments: