Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Planning a little arthroscopic procedure


Weakness kills in medicine. On a team of physicians the individual viewed as the weakest link is under great scrutiny.

The decision has been made. I need reconstruction of my femur and pelvis. It will correct the femoral acetabular impingement and acetabular retroversion. That is the bad news. The good news is that I will be spared a femoral dislocation, in favor of an arthroscopic approach plus anterior incision. Expect 4-8 weeks of crutches. OR date is January, which the orthropod says is good, to give him "a little more time to gain experience" with arthroscopic approach. I am sure he wishes he hadn't said that to me. But I understand where he was coming from, it is a new technology. Reality is this is a major operation, with major recovery.

At work I have begun to tell colleagues that I need "scope" of my hip to repair cartilage tear. I plan to leave it at that.

No comments: