Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Hip bone connected to the thigh bone


My physical therapist is excellent. She has me doing these tiny exercises that kill. I mean, who could believe that lifting your leg one centimeter off the ground could be so challenging? Turns out my muscle groups surrounding my hip are very uneven. This news is surprising, but validating considering the degree of difficulty I am experiencing.

I am searching for a unifying diagnosis- or in other words clarity on how my series of problems are linked. Turns out the back pain keeping me from lying flat is because of my altered gait. My funny walk is because of my tight illiopsoas muscle. The tight illiopsoas is, of course due to the hip inflammation. The inflammation brought on by my fall (probably worse due to running with left arm in a sling) in context of underlying impingement/cartilage damage.

So I will keep doing my baby step exercises. And each week my PT will find a new set of muscles that are struggling to compensate. Falling certainly happens more quickly than climbing back up.

No comments: