Friday, October 19, 2007

The Future?


When away in Cleveland I had a meeting with a special family member. The mother of my brother's boyfriend. My bro and TM have been dating for several years now. I fell in love with T immediately. His presence at our family gatherings always adds warmth. The mothers have had meetings in the past, noteably a fun trip to NYC where they shopped, dined and talked for hours.

Meeting Ms. M made Cleveland feel like home. Their family has been having a difficult time, and with my recent struggles our suffering met mutual understanding.

After a great dinner (good food + 2 martinis) we ambled through a quaint Ohio small town. We happened upon a Forture Teller. It was whimsy for me (later to learn a serial expereince for Ms. M). We ventured up the stairs behind the dark door, the storefront marked by a neon sign in the shape of a crystal ball.

Forty dollars afforded me three questions for the future teller. But before I could get started she offered: Two women who you think are friends will betray you. You will write a book that will be read around the world. There is something in your way, something that you have been dealing with for a long time- you must continue to push forward.

My questions: Will I have children? Yes. A boy and a girl.

Should I have surgery? Trust those who with the answers. Do not be afraid of what you do not know.

Will I find happiness? You will spend a lifetime seeking it, a pursuit with much gratification.


Sometimes I think back to that evening. Was it my fortune? Was it the heartfelt visit with a kindred spirit? Was it the opportunity to look into T's childhood, growing my understanding and affection for my brother's love? Whatever, it made me feel keenly alive. A moment where the surrounding reality met a central peace. Serene and surreal. The memory of that emotion I borrow today.

No comments: