Sunday, March 30, 2008

Physician Scientist: BUST

So I have news... that I am kinda anxious about. Looks like my days as a basic scientist are numbered. I am looking to make a change in my career plans. Tossing in the hat, there will be no K award application (although it is almost finished!)

I was supposed to get a faculty position last year. The division director was an the phone with the credentialing people- when it fell through. (NIH funding technicality, cannot be on training grant and see patients independently) Before my surgery I was told January 2009. Last week I met with the boss again- and the plan changed again. Now IF I submit a paper by this fall, I will probably be offered a Clinical Instructor position starting July 2009. I will have to do another fellowship year (yes 5th for those who are counting) for a total of PGY-9! None of this will they put in writing, and when finally appointed to faculty my salary will be a whopping $80K- no negotiations! BRUTAL.

Why do they do this? Because they can.
Who will ever go into academic research? Breed facing extinction.
What are they thinking? Fossils cannot think.

Now I am a good girl. I love academics, spent two years doing research- hung in there for the rough cards fellowship. But honestly I think this is my breaking point!

So if you trade the money you could make in private practice- the alternative is supposed to be prestige, security and intellectual interest. This "TOP 3 Med School" policy of continuously whipping young trainees lacks prestige and apparently security. Can you believe that I still cannot see a patient on my own and even if I do another 3 years of training I am not guaranteed a tenure track position?!! The last 2 years have been the toughest of my life- so bliss in the discovery of science is lost on me.

Options are:
nationwide search for academic science training/ tenure track position
local/ nationwide search for academic clinical position, heart failure and transplant
local search for private practice (part time?) general cardiology

I am having a little identity crisis right now. It is pretty scary.

No comments: