Friday, February 15, 2008

One Month Follow-up

My office visit this week confirmed that everything is on track. The incision looks good (finished my Keflex), I can increase my weight bearing, I can drive a car, I can get in the pool. All good. A month of recovery behind me, it went so fast.

Celebrated by walking around liberally without my crutches. Later experienced ("My butt's on fire!") muscle spasms in my hip that kept me up until 3AM. My husband not knowing I succumbed to two percocet before sunrise thought I was dead in bed the next morning. Went to PT and got instructions on how to approach the next step of recovery- the rational practical approach. Allowed 75% weight bearing for the next week, then try without the crutches.

I got in the pool yesterday and it was wonderful! I walked back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.... you get the picture. I had the company of a 70 something little lady with a twinkle in her eye. I imagined as she walked next to me she was saying, honey you can do it!

My PT reluctantly agreed that I could try to swim. I did 100 yards, 25 at a time. It felt wonderful. Silence of the water, water streaming past my body, force of forward motion, strength of my stroke. I was never much of a kicker- so my limp legs did not make a huge difference.

Going to work this afternoon. Plan is to check out how taxing the walk from the garage to the lab is. Also to help celebrate my lab-mate's birthday.

My brother is flying in to town tonight! I am so excited to see him.

No comments: