Friday, February 8, 2008

POD#23


Physical therapy this morning. No more CPM machine. Allowed to flex 90 degrees, which means I may sit in a normal chair. Now I am doing exercises against gravity.

My first post-op visit with the orthropod is next Tuesday, and I am hoping I will be able to bear more weight at that time. Additionally my incision will be healed (infection cleared) by then, so that I may return to the pool. My left leg is strong. I think I will be able to walk. It will be wobbly initially but the majority of the muscles are ready to go. I will also ask when I can bike, I imagine a recumbent stationary bicycle would be the first step.

It has been so long since I have exercised. Months. 2007 was pretty much a wash.

2006 was my best year:
Swam 128,925 yards (78 miles)
Bike 378 miles
Run 282 miles

So this is the time for firsts again. Like yesterday, my first email to my PI (research mentor). Sent off an outline of my grant proposal. Time to start writing.

Next week first day back in the pool.

Maybe the following week back to work. Followed by treadmill, cath lab. All in good time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You'll be strong enough to run again soon. In the meantime, keep your chin up and think of all the progress you've made thus far!