Friday, February 22, 2008

Quiet time

An ice storm outside and husband snowed in in Boston provided the smokerdoodle and I some quality quiet time. Although I am able to be more active, the past two days I have extended my recovery- not too practical to balance on the ice and scrape the car. Before my surgery I had a panicked feeling about my sick leave- how silly I was. It has been the most wonderful month. A few experiences/ surprises discovered that I am grateful for:

Yogurt- cannot beat it, it was what I asked for out of anesthesia, better than ice cream. Packed full of nutrients, calcium, excellent calories. Narcotics and antibiotics can wreak havoc on your GI regularity, gotta love the active cultures

Helplessness (true, not the I'm overwhelmed emotional kind) provides recovery for the type A mind- I actually felt my brain re-setting, in those moments when there was nothing to do, nothing to plan for, nothing to worry about. Looking forward to simple pleasures: hot coffee, someone to turn on the light so I could read, an extra blanket for warmth

PBS (and TiVo)
Jane Austin Collection (all of her stories, one each Sunday night)
Legacy: Being Black in America (high profile black Americans find their mainland African, slave, and surprising white ancestors through public records and DNA profiling)
Local Explore your city shows..... who knew there were live caves beneath the asphalt, special meaning behind statue in my favorite park, new exhibits in the museum worth checking out

NexFlix- In your mailbox every day, oh my!

Public library- online catalog, remote book requests, the library in a century building, weeknight outing to retrieve books, public access computer room, lively with parents online with children, reminding me that the most important things in life: love, family, education are free.... material wealth and the pursuit of it can alienate us from this truth

No comments: