Monday, January 14, 2008

First out of the blocks


I met with the division chairman. The conversation was rehearsed in my mind countless times. My preparation for this meeting- comprehensive. Seriously worried if I could pull it off, the honest truth is that I do not feel so well put together as of late.

The stakes were high. At this stage of training all fellows meet with the boss to discuss their future. This year several fellows have gone before me, all disappointed with the result.

My questions were: 1. Will this division support physician scientists who want to do research and heart failure? 2. Is there a future for promotion for me here (meaning if I stay will you promote and support my career)?

I did pull it off. I felt strong. Laid out my research plan, career aspirations, and described how I stand out from the pack. He mentioned my health problems, I said it was disappointing however I worked very hard despite my troubles- and am proud of my accomplishments.

He offered me a faculty position. My work has been the most productive, I show promise. YES. Slugging along, believing that I was making the right moves... they finally threw me a bone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This may be the most understated announcement of a major job promotion and accomplishment that I've ever seen. I almost missed the good news buried in the post. Congratulations. One of the biggest compliments is having someone else recognize your abilities and skills.
-ravenlou