Monday, January 21, 2008

Beautiful closure

The most shocking dating show moments. Excellent television. I take no responsibility for this- my husband has control of the remote. I am laughing at the ridiculousness just the same.

I feel like my healing is well underway. My surgical wound itches a little, and touching it feels like a bruise. There is a 4 inch incision in the front of my hip, two inches above and below the inguinal ligament (fold of the groin). Two lateral one centimeter arthroscopy port sites. All were closed with sutures (no staples). The SuperNurse informed me that they did a plastics closure. Meaning they used sub-cutaneous (below the skin) absorbable suture. This takes much more time than staples and expert surgical technique. Thank you team. All covered with steri-strips, and then dressed with 4x4's and paper tape. I change the dressing every other day.

Scar massage was part of my occupational therapy/rehab following the broken arm. The purpose to prevent adhesions, since the skin over the carpal tendon needs to slide for normal flexion. They suggested rubbing in Coca Butter/ Vitamin E lotion. I plan to do this when the steri stips are removed.

Below: diagram of suture technique (from: Seminars in Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery
Volume 22, Issue 4, December 2003, Pages 306-316)

No comments: