Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Penalty time out


In hockey penalties mean sitting in the box. The rest of the team plays on and the opposing team has an advantage. Keeping the speed of the game these players hop on and off the ice, it is difficult for me to keep track. Dr. SMH yesterday suggested my surgical leave is a forced time-out. Fitting. The reality is that I have never had a prolonged break from working. In school I spent my summers either waiting tables doing research or both. Vacations during internship and residency were always a rush either to a wedding or funeral with the rare international adventure. I welcome the new perspective that my time on the couch will bring. Like the hockey player from the bench analyzing the opposing teams strengths and weaknesses, catching his breath, perched and ready to take the ice again.

No comments: