Sunday, August 26, 2007

Crazy Busy Explodes


I am just sick. Nausea and dispair. Pediatric fellow late for work calls basic science research scientist husband. He comes downstairs to meet her, she runs to work. He drives car 4 blocks and parks it in usual location. She didn't mention the baby. He didn't look in the rear facing car seat. He returns to work. Seven month old little Sophia is found dead in car 4 hours later.


Too close to home, in more than one way.


Loss

My baby was due June 16th. Every time a colleague mentions their children reflexivly I think about the baby I lost. Seven month old baby, four months older than my child would have been. A sense of loss multiplied.


Similar Stuggles

In medical training others control your schedule. You are kept on a short leash. Pushing your limits despite mental or physical fatigue. My friends who have children share thier sense of guilt. Needing more time for work or home, always balancing the two. When interviewing I met a cardiovascular research scientist who balanced her medical career, laboratory, and family. When asked her advice she responded, "As a female physian you learn to juggle, trying not to drop a ball but knowing it will bounce. As a physician mother you keep juggling but the differece is now one of the balls (your child) is made of glass."


Harsh Reflection

Others tell me how lucky I am. They remeber their pre children days fondly. They say, "How wonderful it must be to pick up and go at a moments notice. You are so healthy and productive, these kids just take so much time!" Bitter for me. Waiting to start a family was a concious decision. Baby while protected in the lab was my plan. Infertility, left wrist fracture, hip cartlidge tear and congenital hip abnormality were not part of this plan. Few can understand the way married with children looks from my perspective. Disaster and loss haults the crazy busy life for Sophie's parents. Horrible pain and loss was not in thier plan. Where does that leave us?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ugh. Somehow I missed that news story. It's beyond heartbreaking. Our carefully constructed lives are so fragile. It's amazing anything ever works--how did we get this far without more senseless, stupid tragedies? Part of me thinks that we should live in an eternally grateful state and expect tragedy. But is that living? I certainly couldn't function.