Thursday, August 2, 2007

Multi-lobar Pneumonia


Medline search for canine pneumonia reveals reference to Yersinia Pestis (Black Plague of the 1930s). Bordetella causes "kennel cough". But why such a serious illness in my puppy (15 months old)? Certainly a bacterial infection is likely, but no white count or left shift despite his certain toxic appearance. I looked up combined immunodeficiency- and found the canine model is used to understand the disease in humans, but it is not clear that it occurs spontaneously in dogs. Moral of the story- lit review provides no solace when the illness is personal.

Smokey is my labradoodle. He has been spending the days at the vet, and the evenings under my care. In our living room we have administered subcutaneous fluids. We have perfected our pill swallowing technique. My husband has surprised me. When Smokey came home he gagged with picking up poop, but now manages rectal temps and special TLC like he was born to do so.

No comments: