Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Pain Scale


So how do you rate your chest pain, let's say if zero is no pain at all and 10 is the worst pain ever- for instance like a broken bone? Who knows how many times I have asked patients this. It can be useful- but you are always aware that one person's 8 might be another's 5. But who can imagine what a broken bone feels like- what is un-imaginable pain?

Breaking my arm last January clued me in to a great deal. The regular pain meds (the stuff I often prescribe for pain) didn't touch it. I was so grateful when a friend who was working in the ER came to check on me, then insisted that they give me stronger stuff. Honestly the whole experience affected the way I interact with patients. By facing pain and disability I now have a personal place to connect when people share their fears.

It is quite possible that the torn cartilage in my hip occurred with the fall that led to my broken arm.

After months of rehab to get my arm back, I was relieved to resume my training- to have my life back. Things came to a halt when my left hip began to hurt. The news was worse than I could have imagined. A real injury- AND underlying congenital hip deformity. Personally I am still reeling. Professionally I am still pushing forward- investigating and healing.

No comments: