Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Excellent sleep

For the past several weeks I have been having vivid dreams, epic in nature. Sometimes nightmares. Each night I wake up frequently, feeling unsettled and uncomfortable. Last night I got some good rest. No nightmares, no pain this morning. I am giving the hip injection the credit. I almost can't wait for tonight- to sleep again!

We spent years sleep deprived. People would ask how in the world do you do it? It is all about the training- or perhaps simply getting used to living life in a cloud. Post- call you ache all over, crave sweets, feel angry and sometimes paranoid. You sense of humor becomes skewed, and reality seems distant. Your mind and body are telling you to rest, but you power through it. Patients, paperwork, and studying must come before any personal needs or wants. Eating and peeing are luxuries. We spent years like that, it becomes a way of life. When you engage, give it your all, and then succeed it changes you.

Some of my friends still live like this. They are better compensated- but with homes, families and practices the demands are greater as well.

No comments: